Quote of the Day

"Fiction is the truth inside the lie." Stephen King



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Twittering is networking. Really.


Yes, I'm going to do this Twitter thing. I'm kind of shy. Okay, pretty shy.

Alright. VERY shy. This blog is a chance for me to lose some of the shy and say some things to the world. I might even do videos like my good friend (and newly almost published author!!) Megan does. I mean, don't wait for it. I might hide behide my book and mumble if I have to do a book signing one day. Um, do authors really have to do book signings?

Back to topic. My foray into the networking is going to include Twitter. And who do you think of when you think of Twitter? Yep. :) Ashton Kutcher. King of Twitting. I mean tweeting. So, I am following him now. And Demi, too. I read a post on Twitter (a TWEET. I have to get the lingo right) that Twitter now had a program you could pay for to NOT see Ashton's tweets. HA! Is that them looking at my new tweets?? (Yes, I'm sure of it.)

Well, most people I talk to get bored of tweeting and telling how they're walking to get a coffee or they're reading a book (leave them the &*%F$ alone) or they're going to take a (edited for content). We'll see how this goes. I'm not good about follow up.

This, in fact, may be my last post. Or tweet.

:D Hang in there with me. And when I'm published, you can say you knew me when. And pull up all this stuff and embarrass me further at book signings. Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. I can see where tweeting could be helpful. short sweet notes directing the masses to a website or blog. But I don't want to know when you blow your nose or pass gas. I just don't. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. It's SO abused. There is really NO one I care to follow their every step through-out the day. I think it gives some a feeling of connection to others; feeling cared about by strangers they will never interact with in life other than words on a screen. I'm analytical about it. I think the bottom line is that we all just want to feel cared about.

    Or that we are some REALLY big narcissists. Either/or. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are doing some interesting things with Twitter though. There is one that is writing an entire historical novel via Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A historical novel on Twitter. I've heard almost everything now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally with you guys. I'm THERE--Tracy I searched you and am following, but it doesn't show YOU following anyone--did you maybe sign up twice with different details? I'm Hart Johnson.

    I am not proficient, but I use it to push the blog, and if I say something clever, I definitely see the Twitter hits... what I think it is BEST for is to share what OTHER clever people post (and then hope they do the same for you--for instance, when Elizabeth Spann Craig tweets me THEN I get major hits (she's got the system down, but she tweets 'useful' stuff, and I think her followers KNOW it)--I'm not very often useful. I'm more of a decorative model.

    *coughs* Be sure, when you post something about writing to use tags #amwriting and #wip, and check those searches, because a handful of times, I've found good conversations, and several MORE I've met people I have a little bit in common with to grow the network. ALSO don't be shy about responding. People love it.

    I don't know nearly as much as I need to, but I use it enough to see how useful it will be when there is a book to promote--if I have a well groomed network...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Hart! I really appreciate the helpful advice.

    (first off the bat, I'm seriously considering dropping Will Ferrell. Geesh, does he need pervert rehabilitation or WHAT! On the upside, Dave Chapelle is there now, courtesy of who? Ashton, of course. :) But I think he'll prove much funnier than PW (Perv Will). >:(

    I want to be a useful and find useful things. You're right, when we have that book to promote, it hopefully will come in handy if we've made good connections. It can get boring there VERY quickly if you're not using it wisely.

    One can only hear about Will taking a (edit) only so much in an hour. >:(

    ReplyDelete