Quote of the Day

"Fiction is the truth inside the lie." Stephen King



Friday, January 23, 2015

Seriously, let's get back to the writing.

In 2014, most of my high hopes for writing were put on the back burner. I have to feel motivated, and I had so many stories in my head and no direction for them. I was overwhelmed.

A plea from my writer friend Jeff Fielder to us as a group made all the difference a couple of weeks ago. On Facebook, he talked about how his son, a 13-year old, was having trouble finding books that weren't about vampires, child wizards (he LOVES those, but really, who can compete and unless J.K. Rowling decides to give us more...) and he wanted something with a group of normal boys who face a situation that doesn't involve saving the earth per say, just get out of a mucky situation and give hope to the regular kids who don't have wizard blood inside of them.

Another published friend, Gae Polisner, shared a post about revising (as she was putting in LONG hours on a novel in which lots of changes had to be made...lots) and in it, it shared how revising can be changing up the entire story if you have to while keeping the good bones. It hit home with me. I was allowed. I was amazed.

I have two Young Adult novels simmering that are just that. Jeff sent out a plea for "us" as writers to write this stuff. Many sent suggestions of great books. Not what he was asking. He was calling us out to be the ones to WRITE it.

It fanned the flame inside me for those novels I was letting waste away on my old Dell. Before the thing dies, I need to finish these novels that have been conceived in its wire-y bowels.

Er...

So, this blog is back up and running and ready for a new year of serious story-making. First things first. I'll post parts of chapters, tell you how I'm doing this thing, and we can see what comes of it together. Share the blog, tell your friends. This is honest, the real deal of how an aspiring writer (THIS one) does it.

It's from my heart, anyway. I always hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment